Catholic education in Singleton is believed to have commenced in 1845 in the charge of lay teachers Miss Rigney and then Mr and Mrs Coghlan.
From 1875-1974, the Sisters of Mercy developed and built up many of the traditions and buildings that have come to be associated with St Catherine’s College, St Xavier’s Primary School and the Catholic Junior School (later St Francis Xavier’s Primary School and St Francis Xavier’s Infants School respectively).
The first of the present buildings of St Catherine’s College was officially opened in 1910. St Xavier’s Primary School operated from its Cambridge St address from 1868 until 2000 and the Singleton Catholic Junior School moved from Bathurst Street (1927) to Patrick St in 1972. From 1975 until 2002, St Catherine’s College was run by the Maitland/Newcastle Diocese , who leased the buildings and grounds from the Sisters of Mercy.
The first lay principal was appointed to St Catherine’s in 1987. The first lay principal of St Francis Xavier’s Primary School was appointed in 1993.
In 2000, following extensive consultation and planning by the school and parish community, the decision was made to develop our three separate schools into one K-12 College, on one site- a first for the diocese. St Francis Xavier’s Primary School was closed; Years 3 and 4 moved to the Junior School site and Years 5 and 6 relocated to the high school site. In 2012 the K-12 concept was complete with all students and staff on one site.
The name St Catherine’s Catholic College was chosen by the community and a Vision Statement, crest, motto, school colours, uniform and houses were created.
In 2002, the site was purchased from the Sisters of Mercy, and with the assistance of three Commonwealth grants, funding from the Diocesan Building Levy Programme and St Patrick’s Parish, a building programme for new facilities was commenced.
New buildings completed up to the present date house: Administration block, Canteen, Science labs, Computer labs, Music, Primary and SecondaryLibraries, DAT, Visual Arts, Food Technology and Primary classrooms.
(Sources: The Catholic Church in Singleton by Michael Sternbeck, St Catherine’s College Singleton by Sr Anselm and previous Yearbooks).
St Catherine’s, early 20th Century Building constructed in 1968
Early days-another view St Xavier’s Primary School
Opening the Catholic Junior School-1972 Original 1910 building
A Catholic College for the 21st Century
Today, our wonderful College is a K-12 Catholic school situated on one sites. There are approximately 890 students at St Catherine's Catholic College.
An ongoing Master Plan is being developed for 2017 to suit the increasing College needs.